Email Verification Guide (Manual and Automatic)
What is Email Verification and Why Does it Matter?
Email Verification is a feature that lets you verify a target address' validity before sending them a message. Verifying addresses helps protect your sender score by minimizing the amount of bounces you get from starting a sequence. Remember that keeping your bounce rate under 10% is ideal and by identifying addresses that will bounce before sending, you eliminate a fair number of opportunities to send a message to an invalid email address that will, in turn, raise your bounce rate.
In order to begin verifying addresses, you will need to purchase Email Verification Credits at the cost of $10 for 1000 credits. Purchasing credits is pretty simple:
Go to Settings -> Add-ons -> click "Brite Verify"
Then you can set how many credits you want to purchase -> confirm purchase:
Helpful Tip! Create a group for addresses that cannot be verified. In the next section, I will show you how to automatically move unverified addresses out of your "good" prospect group so that you can start your sequence even faster!
Verifying Addresses (Manually)
A few things to note before beginning to verify addresses:
- Prospects must be assigned to a group before they can be verified
- Addresses must be in the state of "Not Emailed" and not previously verified
Ok, let's get started!
1. Click on "Prospects" then click "Groups"
2. Select the Group you'd like to verify
3. Click on the blue "Action" button in the upper right corner and select "Verify Emails"
4. At this screen, you can determine which Group each verification result will automatically move to by clicking on each field and selecting a Group from the drop down. In this example, I will move "Invalid Emails" to the Group "Invalid Email Addresses" and "Valid" emails will stay in the "Pied Piper" Group for future Sequences.
Valid - These addresses represent a real account/mailbox at the target domain
Invalid - These are not real email addresses
Unknown - For some reason, the domain cannot be verified, usually due to a domain timeout
Risky - The domain responds to every verification request in the affirmative and so, cannot be fully verified
Note: It is recommended that you send only to "Valid" email addresses as "Unknown" and "Risky" messages have a high chance of bouncing!
5. Click the blue "Verify Emails" button in the lower right corner
Verifying Addresses (Automatically)
You also have the option to have your target addresses verified when a sequence sends a message. Remember that a credit will be spent for each send so keep an eye on your credits to ensure you have enough before starting a sequence.
1. Click on the "Inboxes" tab on the left side of the screen
2. Click the "Settings" Button next to the email address you are using
3. Scroll down and in the bottom left corner you will see the options for Automatic Email Verification
As you can see, Automatic Verification is ON by default. If you do not have credits, your sequence will still run, but the verification status of each target address will not be provided and you may see bounces from addresses that were either invalid or unknown.
Additionally, you will see that "Allow Risky emails to be sent" is OFF by default. If you decide to turn this option on, messages will be sent to addresses that are identified as risky and may cause bounces in some cases.